Who's This Glamour Girl?

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Glamour Friday: Funny Betsy!

Betsy
Welcome to Glamour Friday, everyone!  Today, I'm THRILLED to introduce you to one of the sweetest, most HILARIOUS peeps I know: my friend and former improv teacher, Betsy Stover!!!





OOOOMG, Betsy is just the coolest!  I met her as a student in her improv class at Upright Citizens Brigade in the ol' NYC.  For those of you who aren't familiar with improv, it's comedy without a script.  It's fun to do, and BEYOND fun to watch!  
Amy!


Improv is great for so many reasons. It helps actors flex their comedy skills, and for anyone else, it's a great way to break out of your shell, meet people, and spend a few hours a week just having FUN!  Upright Citizens Brigade is an amazing place to do it.  Founded by four friends (including a LEETLE-known actress named Amy Poehler), UCB is the only accredited comedy school in the country - meaning college students can actually get credit for attending.  THAT'S how serious this comedy stuff is, folks!  ;)




     HEY, BETSY... 
What does glamour mean to you?
Feeling good about yourself.  I have to say that glamour's a bit foreign to me now, being that I'm a mom and I have another baby on the way.  Even if I have makeup and a dress on, I always feel like there's a bit of a frazzled element to me!
What's your favorite thing about improv?
You can be anyone or do anything.  It's limitless.  I mean, I can be a tightrope walker or a 400-pound Russian mobster.  There are no boundaries to who you can be, what you can do...I find that exhilarating.
What's your favorite thing about being a mom?
Every family obviously has all of their own dysfunctions, 
 and I love that you can try your best to correct them when you're creating a brand new family.  You can break the cycle, and try to get better with every generation.  


The best part about my experience at UCB was having Betsy as my teacher!  Having a great teacher makes a BIG difference since improv can be a little intimidating at first.  So if you're interested in trying it out, make sure your teacher's been recommended to you.  My favorite thing about Betsy is how comfy she made everyone feel.  She created a safe environment, where everyone flourished!


It's SUPER easy to find an improv class near you.  Visit Google, and you'll see lots of options pop up wherever you are.  And, if you're looking for something a LEETLE different to do with your friends one night, there's NOTHING like seeing an improv show!  WOW - seeing experienced peeps perform this stuff will give you MAJOR belly laughs!  It's such a fun night out!


Betsy & Ari!
Obviously, Betsy has RIDICULOUS inner glamour!  When I asked what her favorite thing is about being a mom, I was BLOWN AWAY by her beautiful answer.  I'm so inspired by how she manages to be BEYOND hilarious, and also really down-to-earth and super sweet.  She and her hubby, Ari (also an improv teacher), will be hosting a show with some other UCB teachers in the new year, so visit www.ucbtheatre.com to learn more about it, or about any classes or shows happening at UCB.  


Have a glamorous weekend xo!

No comments:

Post a Comment